Kellen just completed swimming lessons. Unfortunately, I don't have a single picture or video. Such a shame, because he was so cute. Anyone who knows Kellen might expect that he loved the lessons, but it was quite the contrary. He was terrified. While most of the group was having a great time splashing and umping, Kellen was the kid carrying on and clinging to his teachers neck. The lessons were given by my friend Tina, who serves in the Primary with me. She gave the lessons at her parents private pool. She kept the groups nice and small with only four kids. Each group would go for forty minutes, then they were allowed to run and play in the beautiful backyard, complete with trampoline and swing set. I'm so glad we went that route (even though it cost a little more than lessons at the community pool) because without the promise of playing there afterward, I don't think I could have coaxed Kellen into participating. Not only that, but Tina was excellent with Kellen. She let him hang onto her for the whole lesson and made him feel comfortable. At the same time, she remained firm enough that he knew when she counted to three he had better hold his breath, kick his feet, etc. He was so scared, and I wanted to rescue him, but Tina assured me that if I would let her take over he would get it. So I always watched from a distance, behind some trees where he couldn't look to me for help. Each day seemed about the same, with very slight improvement. So many times he would go under and come up crying because the water had gone up his nose.Tina told him to yell, "No no, water! You stay out of my nose!" and then showed him again and again how to blow bubbles. He liked the yelling at the water part, and I think it made him feel brave enough to keep trying. She would stand about five feet away from the wall and make him swim to it. I'll never forget seeing his panicked little hands groping for that wall. I felt soooo bad for him, but trusted Tina. By day three, I was wondering if it was all in vain, and if I had just been torturing him for nothing.
Finally, on day four he swam to the wall without water going up his nose. Yea! That's all it took. Just one success and he was willing to try again and again. I'm not saying he wasn't scared, he totally was, but that's what was so cute. I could see a look of determination come across his face. He would bravely gather all the courage he could muster and try again. I was so proud of him! I don't think I would have been any prouder if he had been the best swimmer in the class. Kellen is a stubborn kid, but I can see that it will be of value to him if he will use to press on, even when he is afraid.
His new favorite game is to give Taylor, Jane, and I swimming lessons... in our living room. The carpet is the water and the couches are the walls of the pool. I think he prefers that kind of swimming, but hey, it's a good start! He definitely knows the basics! Hooray for K!
4 years ago



Oh, you're a brave mama. My kids hate the pool. I'm going to keep trying though. I'm very impressed that you stuck it out so long and that Kellen delivered. What a good little boy!
ReplyDeleteI love all of your pictures of Jane! Oh my goodness, she's adorable! She has the best baby smile!
Wow, good for you Marie, it's hard to stand back and let your child suffer, but swimming lessons are sooo important. What a cute story.
ReplyDeleteGood for Kellen! Nate didn't get swimming lessons this year. That was me dropping the ball. Anyway, I'm so glad I found your blog. Thanks again for all your help and friendship while we were moving. It was so appreciated.
ReplyDeleteYea for Kellen, and Marie! Sounds like a great teacher. I think Kellen and Abby are similar. She hates going underwater because she ends up drinking the whole pool. But she is stubborn enough that hopefully she'll use it her advantage and try try try. I need to get her some swimming lessons next year.
ReplyDeleteWhat a little trooper. Isn't it funny being the mom and wanting to rescue your kids, and yet knowing that you have to hold yourself back? I'm impressed you stayed strong and watched him push through the scariness of it all. Way to go both of you!
ReplyDelete