| The chrysalis. This is how it looked when it came, and this is how it stayed for about six months. |
| And this is what emerged! |
Once he started flying around the kids got a little too excited, and Jane in particular wouldn't leave him alone. It was windy and cold that day, and I worried that if I put him outside he wouldn't make it. So, I let him live in our nice warm garage for two days. Finally, the weather warmed up and we set Thunderboy free. He immediately soared upward, and we lost sight of him after a short while.
It was such a spiritual experience to have this little creature in our home. He once was a chubby and awkward little caterpillar, struggling from place to place. Then after a "death" he was reborn, and emerged a beautiful butterfly able to soar into the sky. It made me cry! I know I'm a cheese ball! What can I say?
My kids look for Thunderboy now in every park, and have spotted him a couple of times! Even down in Utah at Grandmas house! Although Kellen thinks that must be too far for a butterfly to go, so it must be his cousin. ;)
On a side note, we've had a lot of thunderstorms lately and we like to sit out on the front porch and watch the lightning and listen to the thunder. Every time the thunder rumbles Jane says, "Ooooh! It's a Thunderboy!"
| This picture doesn't show the beautiful purple and orange highlights near the bottom of his wings. |
| Here's a better view of his face and antennae. |



No comments:
Post a Comment