January 12, 2012

I'm 30!!!!!!!

June 8, 2011
I was not too excited about turning 30.  I admit it!  I know, I know!  Those of you who are older than me are now rolling your eyes, but you can remember when you where in my shoes, right?  It's sort of a milestone birthday, and I wanted to be in my 20's just a little bit longer, but it turned out to be one of the best birthdays I've ever had.  For starters we had just a touch of rain and then the sun came out and my flowers were blooming and bright.
This one (Campanula) is my favorite, and I swear it burst into bloom exactly on June 8th, as if waiting to wish me a happy birthday.  These pics don't do it justice.  The color is a luminous bluish-purple.
I woke up at 5:15am to hit the gym with my friend, Tina.  She works at the gym and she's been awesome to help me stay motivated and give me tips.  Anyway after our workout (a weights class) she told me not to eat anything for at least two hours.  I protested, thinking she was crazy, insisting that I'd better have some protein after ripping my muscles etc.  She's a sneaky one ;), and talked me into going along this one time.  We got home around 7:30, and at 8:30 my friend Gina showed up at my house with a babysitter for my kids.  She wouldn't tell me what was going on.  She just dragged me to her car and drove me to Tinas, where we met up with Tina and three more of my closest friends, Sarah, Leslie, and Laura.  They had all put together an amazing, beautiful breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, Belgium waffles, and fresh fruit.  It was delicious, and I was very grateful for Tinas little fib, so I could enjoy the calorie fest.  As if this feast weren't enough they also presented me with gifts and cards.  I felt so loved.  I am truly blessed to live here, and be surrounded by so many loving friends.  Reeeally wish I had a picture!!!
Later that day when the mail came there was a package from my mom with presents for us all.  Thanks to her and our other Grandmas, we get a lot of fun mail around here.
What could it be this time???
I love this picture, cause it captures the real Kellen.
There was a letter, some money, and a movie for me.  Easter Parade, with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland.  A cheesy one, but I love almost all old musicals.  I was raised with them, ya know what I mean?
A bunny book.  You can't really tell by this shot, but she loved it.
The original Willy Wonka movie.  It was so fun to watch this with my kids for their first time.  Their faces during the candy land scene... priceless.
Flag shirts to wear on Independence Day.  I love how Jane's doing the  Uncle Sam pose.  (Mom, doesn't this look exactly like a certain picture of a two-year old me?!)
Taylor made a yummy dinner, but since I'm writing this six months later I can't remember what it was, darn it!  I do remember, however, that following dinner was angel food cake with fresh cream and strawberries.  YUM.
That night I went to bed thinking about where I thought I would be by now.   What I thought I'd be doing, what I thought I would have...  I realized that I'm just where I want to be, and that's a great feeling.  Not to say that everything I've ever wanted has been given to me.  If that were the case I wouldn't have been given the opportunities I needed to grow.  I'm grateful for life.  All of it.  The good and the bad.  Both my blessings and my trials have helped me to see the Lords hand in my life, and He has been there every step of the way and I know that He always will be.   SO... HELLO THIRTY!  I'm ready to take on whatever is next with happiness in my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy (very belated) birthday! Yep, 30 hit me last year, too. When did that happen?! I still feel 18 sometimes. :) I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day, filled with beautiful flowers, awesome friends, yummy food, and a super dang adorable family! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete