I'm a list person, so here's a list to describe my thoughts today:
diapers
spit-up
drool
toys, toys, toys
mess, mess, mess
toilets
poopy
peepee
crusty plates of untouched food
tantrums
headaches
screaming
crying
whining
stomping
throwing
scratched walls/doors
exhaustion
time-out (for Mommy too!)
sleep (the lack of it)
diaper rash
boogers
milk, milk, and more milk
burp rags everywhere, unless I actually need one
nursing pads
dirt
fingerprints
stretch marks
wrinkles
baby fat (and I'm not talking about the kids!)
and...
CRAZY!!!!
My apologies to those of you who can't stand a Debbie Downer, but I am not one to mask my feelings very well and I just felt like writing. Let me put your mind at ease by saying this:
I love my kids, ALWAYS!
and
I love being a mom... most of the time.
Today I miss being in school. I miss taking classes, lessons, playing the violin, piano, and SINGING! I mean really singing, like I haven't done for a long time, and I don't even think I could right now.
OK! I've vented! Ahh! I feel much better! :)
It's just been one of those days! I know all you moms understand.
If any of you have had a similar day/week/year, here are some thoughts from one of my FAVORITE people, Elder Neal A. Maxwell:
"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echos of gunfire or the sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and neighborhoods? Will what happened in the cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congress?
"When the surf of centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution."
Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it? I guess singing can wait!
4 years ago



umm, YA!! I totally understand. and have felt the same way on days. We make it through somehow though! and then we get a vista full of love and hope and it's worth it. :)
ReplyDeleteHang in there. Take some 'marie' time if you can!
I can completely relate to this blog right now 100%. It is as if you were reading my mind. Thanks for reminding me about that quote. I have read it many times and have always loved it.
ReplyDeleteForgive me if this comment is a mile long. I TOTALLY relate to your list of insanity; when both kids are screaming - the 3 year-old is throwing a tantrum, and the baby wants to be nursed AGAIN, and then the baby spits up on everything within a 20 foot radius, and the 3 year-old wets the bed, and the dishes are piled to the ceiling, and you haven't even gotten dressed because you only slept for 3 hours last night...it's a miracle if you've made it through the day without a complete melt down!
ReplyDeleteYour quote from Elder Maxwell was SO needed today, thanks. I've heard it before, but sometimes in my selfishness I forget that what I'm doing is truly the Lord's work - and His plan for me. My sister-in-law told me about a woman who finally decided she needed to remind herself of the "joy" of motherhood. So, every time she changed a diaper, or cleaned the carpet, or did the dishes, she would think to herself, "I am building the Kingdom of God. What I am doing right now, can't be done by anyone else. This is what the Lord wants me to be doing." I've tried to remember that in my moments of utter frustration, and sometimes, it really does help. And, truthfully, other times I just need a break. And that's okay too. :)
I don't remember that quote. I love it! Thanks! Oh, and you know your Fabulous Five? It has been passed onto my sister who got a comment from my brother-in-law who "wants something" but doesn't post on blogs and so is wondering if she will make an exception and just make something for him - goof! Not the point, right?
ReplyDeleteBTW - the picture of your kids sleeping is super sweet. Don't you just want wo eat them?! Especially those baby cheeks . . . mmmmmmm!
Sometimes you just need to vent about those days, and a blog is a perfect place to do it. I can TOTALLY relate. And yes, it is all to build the kingdom, but couldn't we do it with a little more sleeptime? :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, I totally understand and am very grateful I'm not the only mom who feels this way sometimes!! It is MOST definitely the hardest yet most rewarding job in the entire world! You are doing great and thanks for sharing the quote by Elder Maxwell, soooo true! Hope you have a good day today :D
ReplyDeleteMarie, you have such a way of uplifting, even when you are venting! You are amazing! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has hard days (and I only have one child!).
ReplyDeleteI have had so many days lately like the one described.. thanks for the quote. I needed it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Tina. Nothing like some good ole' bodily fluids.
ReplyDelete