Our preschool coop took the kids to the fire station for a fieldtrip. Those firemen are awesome, and soooo cute with the little kids. We had the whole station ready to welcome these six preschoolers. The kids felt so special and thought the fireman were total superheros. It was great. I was pretty busy with the rest of the moms, keeping the kiddos where they needed to be, so I didn't get the greatest shots, but here's a few anyway.
 |
| Always a ham. |
|
 |
| Jane loved the red stairways. |
 |
| The kids got to sit on the windowsills of the upper level and see a truck leave the station with sirens blaring. They were all very excited about that. Jane liked her perch so much she hung out there for a while, while the older kids listened to a safety lesson. |
 |
| During the lesson the kids got to hear what a home fire alarm sounds like. I thought this picture was cute of my friend Tracey and her cute kids. |
 |
| Then the kids got to practice crawling under the "smoke". |
 |
| Then we got to go down to the garage and see all the different types of vehicles. |
 |
| Lastly one firefighter put on all of his gear so the kids could get a good look at him, and hear his strange sounding voice with his gas mask on. |
 |
High fives at the end.
|
For any young moms who haven't already done this, I would recommend a visit to your local fire station. If not with a school group, I'm sure they would do it for any small group. They told us that they wished more kids could come in. Not just for the important safety information, but also to let them see the fireman's gear, masks, etc. Apparently, they've had little kids actually
hide from them under beds and things, not understanding that this scary looking creature was there to protect them. I'd never considered that before. Kellen idolizes these guys, and I know if he saw one at our house he would feel safe in their care.
Such a fun visit! My one time at a fire station was when Braden was 2, and I was 8 months pregnant. Braden somehow ran off, and there I was, huge, running as fast as I could waddle to catch him! :S I think I need another chance at a good experience! :D Cute picture!
ReplyDelete