April 1, 2011

I went back and forth trying to decide if I should post this one or not.  I'm not really sure why I finally want to three months later... I guess it's because I'm doing better with it now and I want it recorded as part of my life, although forgive the lack of title.  I just couldn't think of the right one.
As many of you know, I was pregnant... and I'm not anymore.  I was ten weeks along and started bleeding.  I went to the doctor for an ultrasound, and the baby had only developed to six weeks.  With the baby that small, we couldn't detect a heart beat.  The doctor told me there was a chance my dates were wrong, and that I was really only six weeks along.   Either that, or I was going to miscarry.   I knew my dates weren't off.  I was sent home and told to return in two weeks.  If the baby was still alive and growing at that point we would be able to hear the heart beat.  Hoping my dates were wrong, but really knowing they weren't, I went home and stayed in bed, praying for some resolve.  I wanted my baby, but in my heart I was pretty sure that I had already lost it.  So I stayed in bed, with my mind in the worst, most crazy place it could possibly be--- Limbo.
Finally, after three days, it happened.  I miscarried the baby.  I won't get into that.  I know many of you have had similar experiences and know how awful it is.  Not my best day.  However, I did felt an overwhelming sense of relief.  I could stop wondering what was going to happen and start to grieve.  I could also get out of bed and take care of my family, which I so wanted to do.  The Lord was truly with me.  I knew he had prepared me for this loss with the feelings of doubt I'd had before.   It sounds weird to say that -- they weren't welcome feelings, but after the fact, I was grateful for them because they prepared me for what would have otherwise been a completely unexpected and devastating blow.
I've since had another miscarriage, which came as a complete surprise because I didn't think I was pregnant in the first place.  Strangely, I don't feel worried... Well, that's not completely true...  The worrier in me can always be unleashed if I go there, but the smarter side of me, the side with trust in an all-knowing Heavenly Father, feels a sense of peace.  I know that everything will turn out as it should.  The Lord isn't withholding children from me because I can't handle it, or because I'm not ready.  (I struggled with those thoughts for a while.)  I don't understand why things happen the way they do, but I still feel peace.  I do know that I have more children to come.  When and how they become a part of my family is yet to be discovered.  Hope you'll forgive me for getting so personal, but those of you that know me well know that's just the way I roll.  
Just like all times of trial in my life, I've felt an outpouring of love from friends, family, my Father in Heaven, and my Savior.  I've also gained a stronger testimony of the Lord's plan.  Best of all, my love for the family I have with me now has deepened immensely.  I can hardly look at my wonderful husband or two sweet kids, without feeling my heart begin to burst with love and gratitude.  I have been given so much.

7 comments:

  1. I know that was hard to share Marie but thank you. I'm grateful for your faith an example. You are a wonderful strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Marie. I'm so sorry. My sister in law just had her second miscarriage in a row last week, and it's been so hard for her. I'm glad you shared your testimony. You are a great woman of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up on your blog... I love you! You are such an amazing person and friend, I feel blessed to know you and your awesome family. I want to steal that little Jane, she is such a sweetheart! All my love from far away California
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marie, I'm sorry to hear you went through that. I had 2 miscarriages before I had Kylie, and while it was hard, I too felt an amazing comfort from our Heavenly Father. I'm so glad you have faith in His plan for your little family. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I'm so sorry you've been going through such trying times! Thank you so much for sharing the thoughts and feelings you've had, and especially for sharing your testimony. You're an amazing person and mother! The Lord definitely has a plan for you, so whenever you are blessed with another little one, it is certain that it will be a very lucky baby indeed. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I'm so sorry for your loss. I am so glad that you've been surrounded by such love and support. I wish I lived close so I could give you a great big hug! You have such faith; thank your for sharing, and being such a wonderful example. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie,
    I know we've talked about this and I love you and you are an amazing mother, and I can't even begin to tell you what an example you are to me. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post, I love hearing your testimony. Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete