March 26, 2010

Trials and Blessings

Back in 2004 a doctor told me I should have my tonsils removed.  I didn't even consider it because we were poor college students without health insurance.  I just took the antibiotics, and hoped for the best.  Then I started having kids, and lets face it!  Is there ever a convenient time to have surgery when your a mom?

Nope.

Well, here we are, six years later, and after years of getting sick, losing my voice, and not being able to sing the way I know I should, we finally bit the bullet.  I had the tonsillectomy yesterday.

OUCH.

Not pretty, people.  Let's just say I felt better after childbirth.  This is insane.

On the other hand I have never felt more blessed.  The outpouring of love from friends and family has been overwhelming.

Taylor has seriously been superman, taking care of me, the kids, the cleaning, the shopping, the babysitting situation, my eating and medicine schedule... He is the best.  I love him so much.

My parents have offered to come stay with me, even though they have tons going on right now, but I don't even think we'll need them, because we have such good friends here in Idaho.  Yesterday the phone was ringing all day with people calling to express their love and concern and offer selfless service.

My good friend, Lindsay, who just happens to be the best cook in town, made me the most delicious, comforting, chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles, plus her famous Lion House rolls, that I can actually swallow cause they are so melt-in-your-mouthy.  Mmmmmm...  She is so sweet.

My kids went to a friends house yesterday, and they are being sat by two other good friends today, and there are more offers on the table, depending how the next two weeks go for me.  I just can't believe how wonderful everyone has been!

Most of all I have felt extremely close to the Lord these days.  Taylor has given me two blessings this month, and both were so beautiful, and a true source of comfort and strength to me.  I had been looking for my patriarchal blessing for a few months, and really felt that I needed to read it before the surgery.  Well, the night before, as I was tidying up the den... lo and behold!  There it was!  It felt like another tender mercy.  I was almost glad that I had lost it for a while, because I found it when I needed it most, and was thirsty for that guidance.

I've been having some personal struggles with the spirit in my life these days.  Not that my testimony was fading or anything, I just was having trouble finding a balance.  Before having kids I took for granted how easy it was to seek after the Spirit, increase my gospel knowledge, ponder the scriptures, meditate, etc.  As all you parents know, there is rarely a moment of peace, when you are not exhausted from all the craziness.  Plus, I'm the primary chorister, which I love, but sometimes I miss the ease of just going to church and being "fed", you know?

Well, for some time now, I've been pleading with the Lord to grant me the spiritual strength (and the physical/mental strength) I need to continue to progress in the gospel.  I don't want to be content with where I am at.  I want growth!  Yet, like I said, it's so much harder to put in the time.

Since my blessing from Tay at the beginning of the month, I have felt a real difference.  Somehow I have found the time to study more.  I am also finding little quiet moments where I can find a secluded place to pray vocally.   I don't know if these moments were always there, and the Lord is just now helping me recognize them, but each time it feels like a little miracle, and I am again assured that the Lord is mindful of me and my small life.   He loves me, and I feel it.

I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven, who will never turn us away.  He waits for us to come to him,  ready to pour out his blessings.  When we turn our hearts to him with love and gratitude we can feel peace and joy, no matter where we are in life.

8 comments:

  1. What an uplifting post, Marie.
    Thank you for sharing. Feeling like I'm progressing spiritually is a constant battle for me too, among the busy-ness of motherhood.

    I am so glad to hear what wonderful friends you have up there to take care of you! I want to know more about your tonsilectomy - I've considered it myself many a times through the years of strep throat. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Love,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your uplifting thoughts. I feel inspired to find time in my own life to ponder more...or, at all ;)

    So glad you're doing well after the surgery and that you have so much help. I'm sure it's going to be a painful couple of weeks, but SO worth it in the long run. Drink TONS of water, be near a humidifier at all times, and don't skimp on the ice cream and pudding - because, man, it just feels good (or so Olivia told me :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I loved this post. I am so glad that you have so much love and support where you are. Your thoughts and feelings about building your testimony are inspiring to me. It is so true that blessings come out of adversity. Loves! and here's to a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are being taken care of. Isn't it great to feel so loved? It is so true, He is always there, just waiting to bless us. We only figure this out when we can humble ourselves and turn to Him. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have such a great support system, and I hope that helps you recover more quickly. I loved the post--I serve in the primary right now (2nd counselor) and I'm totally feeling like I need some {adult} uplifting. And bless you for loving your calling--I am not so easily excited about having primary songs stuck in my head all week long...(but mostly because I sing or hum one little line over and over and over and over).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mar - we've talked about these struggles before - I hear ya. I need to work on this too and I appreciate hearing more about your experiences. I've always looked up to you for your testimony since we were little and I still do! Love you. I hope you continue healing up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I love you! You are so amazing. Thank you for having such an open heart and sharing this piece of you.

    les

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad there are so many people up there who have supported you. I wish I could've been there to help as well, but I'm glad you are getting better. :)

    ReplyDelete