March 3, 2010

"When We're Helping We're Happy, and We Sing as We Go!"

As crazy as Family Home Evening can sometimes be with these little ones, I'm so grateful for this precious time.  They don't stay little for very long, and pretty soon I'm really going to have to twist some arms to get kids to want to hang with Mom and Dad.  Yesterday, when I told Kellen it was Family Night, he gave me a classic, "Yesssssss!" sounding just like Napoleon Dynamite. :)

Our lesson was on work.  We pulled different household items out of a bag and let Kellen try to guess what they were with his eyes closed, using his hands to feel them.  We then talked about how each item helps us keep our home in good repair and clean condition  We then put on our superman shirts, cranked up some crazy tunes, and cleaned Kellen's room together like fast superheros.  We cleaned it in about 5 minutes, then spent about 20 more minutes just goofing off and dancing.  The kids had a great time, especially Kellen.  Afterward we did our Team Ras cheer and had family hugs.   It's happy moments like these with my little family that bring to mind the old saying, "Heaven on Earth".

Today I came downstairs to find Kellen and Jane "cleaning" the floor for me with some wet (very wet) rags.  So cute!  Kellen liked helping so much he didn't stop there.  He then took his dirty, wet rag to my glass  french doors that lead into our front room and reeeeally "cleaned" those for me.  I had meticulously shined them yesterday with Windex, but how could I be mad?  He was so proud of himself!  With a smart little grin on his face he said, "I cleaned these for ya, Mom, cause kids help der moms, ya know?"

     "Thanks, Buddy!"

     "Awe!  Yer-wehcome, Mom!  I loooove you!"

I love this kid!  He just melts my heart like butter!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! You guys are awesome. I loved visualizing you doing all this - I like to think I can visualize it all especially well since I know you so well! For example, I could see Taylor's silly moves and facial expressions so clearly in my mind's eye... He's one of my favorite people to bust a move with, to be sure. And I can see Kellen's little beaming face too... And Jane happily mimicking everyone.( : I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! What a great idea for FHE! Where'd you come up with that? And I must hear this Ras Family cheer. ;) Love you! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the best mama ever! That sounds like a perfect Family Home Evening - clearly they learned something too! So sweet - "cause kids help der moms - ya know!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Obviously they're retaining it, right?! That's the best feeling ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love those moments, even if they do make you clean up AGAIN! :) And I love the bathtub paint idea! You're so smart!

    ReplyDelete